Wednesday, May 27, 2015

The guardian angels get combat pay...

Since there are destructive storms across wide areas of he country, I shouldn't complain. But I'll complain.

The dark clouds and intermittent rains have marred some gorgeous scenery as I scouted the area and found some lovely scenery. The forecast is for more storms, so the Find-the-Hole-in-the-Clouds game will continue.

For example, in the morning between rain showers I put the drone up at Bridal Veil Falls. I learned what happens when the drone gets to 400 feet above you; a big black nastygram with yellow lettering fills the center of your camera image, sternly warning you, 'Maximum height exceeded.'  Oh.

But the camera keeps shooting...

 
A few minutes after I landed the Phantom, the rain was pouring down.  Good day for scouting new places, if nothing else. Thirty miles East of the falls lies the huge Strawberry state park and reservoir.
 
Despite the drought, I heard on the radio that Utah's snowmelt runoff water supply was normal. No wonder you see a lot of prosperous-looking farms everywhere you drive. The level is certainly down at places like Strawberry's Soldier Dam, but there's a lot of water here!:
 
 
Like those clouds?
 
Soldier Dam isn't as big as Hoover Dam, but it will do. Great fun to drive on!
 
 
Late in the afternoon after giving up and going back to my room, I happened to look out the window. Were those patches of blue sky to the north over Jordanelle Park? The angels said, 'Get up off your lazy butt and go up there!"
 
Yes, ladies.
 
 
I managed to get off four shots to make the panorama before that ominous cloud-shadow on the dam covered half the lake.  Note to self: timing bonus for the angels.
 
Returning South toward Heber City, I saw more patches of blue sky toward Provo to the southwest.
 
When I got to Deer Creek Reservoir, the clouds to the West were like the skies of Mordor and the snow-capped peaks were wreathed in them, but there was enough Sunlight to work:
 
 
I even stood on a pullout by the highway and put the Phantom up:
 
 
The weather forecast is ominous, so the guardian angels have their work cut out. Thank goodness the people who claim to tell us what the climate will be in 100 years can't get Wednesday right...
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment