Monday, May 11, 2015

Seeing what the birds see...

Well, not quite, as we'll see later. It was another day with lots of thick clouds and some wind, but I pressed on to the saddleback in the Valley of the Gods and launched. I'll repeat Saturday's picture so you see the overall topography. A superb location

 
Sunday was a cloudy day, but the view was still glorious! Knowing that they had a blizzard in Denver yesterday and 5 inches of snow in Phoenix, I'll be quiet...
 
 

 
The drone is up next to the high fin (the left one in the picture above) I'm standing next to my car in the lower left. That high fin is really up there! I couldn't see the drone, so I flew by what  the camera was seeing.
 
 
 
I have a half-hour of videos flying around up here, but the broadband is too slow to upload them. Here's a preview.
 
 
 
 
More when I get home!  Also, I'll still come back on a sunny day if I can!
 
Later in the afternoon, the Sun came out and I thought that the wind had diminished just a bit.  I learned from my diving career that fatalities come from small mistakes compounding. Should have remembered that.
 
Lulled by the bright Sun, I decided to put the drone up near the motel along the Colorado River.
 
 
You see that high slope to the right? And the bushes by the river?
 
Looking upriver, there is a cliff. Remember that cliff and the bushes down by the water...
 
 
 
By now you may have guessed the rest. After a perfectly fine landing, a sudden gust of wind skittered the drone along the ground from where it had landed to the cliff--and over.
 
I climbed down the steep slope of loose rocks, expecting to end my career in a landslide any moment, Of course, I had to carry the controller down, so I could beep the drone and have it answer.
 
I found it sitting atop one of the bushes down at the river. Then I climbed back up, carrying both the controller and the drone. No, I don't know how.
 
I'll spare you the photo of my legs. The picture is like the one of my arm when I fell out of Hope Arch last year, but in this case, the affected limbs won't be incapacitated for six months. They just look awful.
 
Fortunately, I travel alone, so nobody has to be embarrassed by being seen with the patient.
 
A final look at the scene of the wreck:
 
 
More tomorrow--God willin' and the creek don't rise...

No comments:

Post a Comment