Wednesday, May 13, 2015

Can't buy good weather...

Between clouds in the morning and howling winds after 1:00 P.M. it's been a struggle. On the one really beautiful day I've had, I shot this on the way into Monument Valley: 

 
The big butte in the distance is Spearhead Butte, site of a grand overlook called Artist's Point. I waited through the morning cloudiness yesterday to get at least some light.  When I thought I had enough color to see anything,  I put a Phantom up to get the sky view.  Surrounded by curious visitors from Europe, up she went:
 
 
I'm hoping to get some clear skies and Sun (what's that?) before I leave, so I can fly this spot again when it has dramatic color.  Hope springs eternal. So far, there has only been one really good day out of five. Sigh.
 
A dozen of the major buttes are captured in these two shots from the drone. Camel, Col, Elephant in the far distance between those two, Then in the second shot, Mittens, Merrick, Elephant  and the distant ones I'll have to get the map to identify:
 
 
 
Because the wind was strong yesterday afternoon, I Finally got to work on some of the panoramas from earlier days. Here's the wall the Moki Dugway switchback road climbs:
 
 
and the view from the top.

 
I shot a GoPro video of the six-and-a-half minute descent which I'll have on the web site after I get home.
 
Here's a panorama of the bend in the Colorado River at Lee's Ferry. That was on the trip to get here on the first day:
 
 
And, finally, every time I return to my room I pass the scene of the near disaster when the wind blew the drone over this cliff, and I finally spotted it in the bushes down at the water's edge:
 

 
I'll never forget this place. Neither will my poor legs...
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment