Sunday, May 25, 2014

This adventure is completed!

My travels in Idaho and the Front Range of the Sierra Nevada are over (scroll down the page for the picture stories) and I'm now home facing what we call 'the Re-entry Problem.' Tons of spam and junk mail, re-stocking food--everybody knows the problem, it's universal.
 
But it does make one wish one were, as yesterday morning, about to drive up Mount Whitney in the Sierra Nevada. The campground near the top (to the right of Mt. Whitney, that high point on the left) is reached by driving up a long switchback road seen to the center right:
 
 
As we approach, the mountain range looms above us:
 
 
Then we roar (pardon me, slowly drive) up the first incline until we reach the big turn:
 
 
Up the southbound ramp to the final turn, where we face the towering peaks and prepare to enter the high forest.
 
 
This is a lovely spot, with a lively waterfall to provide background roar--er, music.
 
 
Unfortunately, my GoPro's battery died up there, so I didn't get the videos I wanted of the exciting ride down the mountain. I'll be back in September to hit it again.
 
Meanwhile, here's the view looking toward Lone Pine in the middle distance, with Death Valley beyond the far hills!
 
 
Home for three weeks before heading out again! Gotta get laundry done!
 
 
 
 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment