Wednesday, June 10, 2015

Some days are like this, unfortunately...

Vegas to Escalante, Utah is a long drag--and that's on a good day. This wasn't a good day. The remains of Hurricane Bianca in Mexico produced thunderstorms and plenty of thick clouds all the way.

After I passed Cedar Breaks National Monument, there was a really nice lake near Panguitch where there was just a brief bit of Sun. So, I put the new Inspire 1 up. Note the more natural horizon from its 90-degree lens.  Love this bird!

 
Since I couldn't get first-class material under all the clouds, I decided to do some scouting of old favorites to see which might be good candidates for drone treatment.
 
I tried to go to Devil's Garden, seventeen miles South from Escalante on the unpaved, slip-slide muddy, Hole in the Rock Road.  This next picture tells you how that went. I never reached the Devil's Garden, and my car hates me.
 
 
Playing it safe, I went to one of the great overlooks I've seen in my travels--indeed, they call this The Most Beautiful Road in America. It's on Utah's scenic byway Route 12 between Escalante and Boulder, and this overlook is known as the Head of the Rock. Hope to get back to these places over the next few days when the Sun is out.
 
 
 
The huge cloud shadows were a real pain, but the scene is magnificent and the sweeping road is a blast to drive. Question: Why am I always standing in precarious proximity to high cliffs? Just asking.
 
There is an answer, of course--because that's where you get the best pictures...

 
 
 
Time to get some sleep. If I pray hard, maybe I can get some sunshine tomorrow...
 


No comments:

Post a Comment