Saturday, August 24, 2013

The Photo Journey concludes...

Yesterday was a weather wipeout, but today dawned clear. Saturday morning, and Canadians know that you will freeze your butt off down by the water at Lake Louise, so they come later. I was the sixth car in the lot, and was rewarded with seeing the first kiss of sunlight on the glacier:



I waited as long as I could at Lake Louise, getting as much light on the scene as I could:


Parenthetically, there is another one of those small, unostentatious bungalow resorts on the shore at Lake Louise. The Canadians seem to specialize in these:


My friend Rick said that I should get to nearby Moraine Lake early, because the parking lot was quite small. I imagined a remote lake with crickets chirping, and when you stood on a parapet to get the scene recorded, you would think it was just like that. the lake doesn't have a lot of boats and people, as you see in the picture.

No, they are all on the parapet behind you and scrambling over the rocks to get into your picture.

The beautiful lake is surrounded by tall peaks and immense forests:


However--you would be wrong about the crickets at Moraine Lake. When the sun came out and it got warm, this was the scene leaving that parking lot:


I have four and a half minutes of that, hundreds of cars lining the approach road for at least a half-mile. I did try to go back to Lake Louise at Noon, but the parking lots were full, the approach roads were packed with cars, and there was a hundred-car line-up on the Trans-Canada Highway just to get off at the Lake Louise exit!

Heading back for home tomorrow morning, via Waterton Lakes, East Glacier and Pocatello. Expect me in October...

1 comment:

  1. Lake Louise is our favorite place when it comes to paddleboarding. We appreciate its beautiful view while paddling and relaxing. Coolest summer activity ever! Snowcoast Canada

    ReplyDelete