Friday, August 23, 2013

Wonders in the sunshine...

I spent yesterday again desperately trying to hit key attractions while the sunshine continued. My friends had suggested the Spray Lakes Loop near Canmore, so I tried it first thing in the morning. Sure enough, the morning light enhanced the view:


All along the road, there were overlooks where one could drink in the work of Nature, the Master Designer:


I could have relaxed here all day:


However--there were other important sites to hit and time was limited, so I went on to Johnston Canyon, where Parks Canada has built a walkway through a deep, narrow river canyon.

 
The Canyon has two falls, one easy to get to and the other miles away. I went to the closer lower falls, which were pretty powerful in a confined space:
 
 
There is a small cave you can enter to get right next to the falls in a confined space. This is where you appreciate the power of moving masses of water to carve through the hardest of rocks:
 
 
Moving on, I returned to Emerald Lake to shoot without all the cloud shadows of my earlier visit. This picture will be the left side of a three-image panorama of the entire lake when I get time to do it:
 
 
For the final important target of this day, I returned to Takakkaw Falls to be sure I did it justice. I went closer than I did on my earlier visit, but the camera starts getting wet from all the spray at about this point:
 
 
By the way, if you ever get to visit Takakkaw, you will have the fun of navigating this canyon with two hairpin turns...
 
 
The Toyota looks as if it were sent for and couldn't come, a relic of Grapes of Wrath, but I haven't seen a car wash (or cell phone service, or much else) out in the places where I've been spending all my time.
 
Off this morning to a beautiful lake which only issues only twenty permits per day to visitors. Can't wait!
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment