Monday, August 19, 2013

Banff to Jasper on the Icefields parkway

It started so well as I left Banff. There were breaks in the clouds, and surely the overcast would burn off in the Sun.


Oh, wait! It's Summer in Canada, where even the hotel staff are complaining about the persistent rotten weather. Soon I'm driving in this:..


 
Reminds me of San Francisco, where the top-selling Summer gift is sweaters!
 
Bow Lake seems positively gloomy!
 
 
But wait. This is a good day to go to the Columbia Icefields! Several glaciers pour over the mountain passes here:
 
 
That glacier on the right rolls in like surf!
 
 
Except for the stiff wind and resulting chill from all those ice cubes, it is a beautiful place!
 
 
Then, closer to Jasper, I stop for a visit to Athabasca Falls:
 
 
I can't wait to photograph some of these places in rich sunlight!!
 
On the way to my hotel outside Jasper, I saw a commotion by the side of the highway and pulled over to investigate.
 
 
A buck was feeding right off the Trans-Canada Highway, completely dismissing the cars and trucks roaring by, not to mention the gawkers sticking cameras out their windows mere feet away...
 
 
Amazing how little it takes to make a photographers's day!
 
Off to more adventures!
 


No comments:

Post a Comment