Sunday, August 18, 2013

Why photographers age prematurely...

Yesterday as I left Slocan Lake and my friends the Tegelers, the haze began to lift:
 
I spent the morning driving to Revelstoke, enjoying the ferry ride:

Note that the clouds are following me, and getting bigger. Stopping at Emerald Lake, I discovered blown-out skies and hills under shadow. I'm going back when there is a clear day to get this one right!
 
 
I finally caught a break at magnificent Takkakaw Falls:
 
 
After all day driving, I awoke next morning for a placid drive down he Spray Lakes Loop. The day was very promising:
 
 
At one point, I stopped for four elk by the edge of the road.  Just as I zoomed in on them with my lens,
 
 
A car scattered the elk, almost hit two of them, and raced off down the road. It was Saturday morning, and every boy and his dog would be heading to the lakes!
A few more cars raced by--there would be no big wildlife on this road today!I turned around and headed for the Icefields Parkway going North, still dogged by a growing cloud layer:
 
Desperately searching for any holes in the clouds, I stopped at Hector Lake, and was rewarded with the stub of a rainbow!
 
 
Still, the clouds were gaining on me. I stopped at Bow Lake:
 
 
Oh, aaarrgghh! Deciding to give un scenes with no color, I started back South toward Banff.
 
But wait! Was that a small break in the clouds, drifting toward the lake? I raced back, and sure enough some sunlight weakly appeared:
 
Even a little sunlight makes a difference!!
 
Arriving back in Banff, I dropped in at a small local hotel where we swells hang out:
 
 
Today will be another long one, driving North to stay in Jasper National Park and the northern end of the Icefields Parkway. Perhaps another blog in a day or two.

No comments:

Post a Comment