Saturday, September 12, 2015

Wow! It was just like winning the Indianapolis--uh, 495...

Oh, you thought it was the Indianapolis 500? Not this one. You'll find out when we get to the punch line...

I still have the no-broadband problem here, so all of these still pictures are all clipped from nice videos which I'll put up when I get some broadband. Hey, this is still a lot better than the early days of dial-up...

This was a perfect weather day for flying, so I raced toward Pocatello, and stopped at the Lake Walcott Park, the Minidoka Dam and the rapids (which they call 'falls') below the dam.


 It is a small park, and a pleasant place to try out the repaired drone. I put it up for a lazy flight in the morning glare:

 
In the map above, you can make out the Minidoka Dam. Below it are those Minidoka Falls, where the birds run riot. Hundreds of them. Must be fine dining.
 
 
Happy as I could be, I drove back toward Twin Falls, stopping where the Hanson Bridge crosses the Snake River Gorge:
 
 
 
These two stills are from the beginning and end of a video sequence, which captures the place nicely from above.
 
 

 I continued on in to Twin Falls to fly the Shoshone Falls. First I stopped just upstream from the big falls, to fly up over the Snake River. In this image, the main dam is just where the beautiful water ends:
 
 
The power company has performed a creditable service in developing park-like access to the river:  
 

They also developed a park around nearby Dierkes Lake:
 
 
Dierkes is small but superb for family outings with children. The drone loved it!
 
 
 
I was on a roll! What a great day!
 
 
That's right. They turned off the !#!$!%!^! Shoshone Falls! A couple of local people told me that, yes, they had heard the falls were turned off until Spring. The drought, you know.
 
Confucius say: Some days are like that...
 
 
 
 
 
 
Put in a Dierkes Lake Still and the Bosch view of the non-falls
 
 
 
 
 
 
 

1 comment:

  1. Nice pics! Did you get any of the BASE jumping at the Perrine Bridge?

    ReplyDelete