Sunday, May 20, 2012

Ring of Fire-May 20, 2012

Since I was scheduled to drive to the northeastern corner of Utah in May 21, why not add a day and stay in charming Cedar City? It's a lovely place, and it was right on the track of Sunday's annular eclipse!

The impetuous fool wins again!  I now have a few hundred pictures of the two-hour-long sequence which I can work on when I get home. First, I'm driving to eastern Utah on the Colorado and Wyoming borders, to Dinosaur National Monument, the Gates of Lodore and Flaming gorge.

Until I get back, here are a few images of the eclipse, including the 'Ring of Fire' moments We begin with the early shadow moving across the disc:
.'

Then I'll go directly to the main event--the Ring of Fire: The Earth turns dark, and a spooky light pervades the land.

Then, as the shadow leaves:


And finally, as the Sun is about to go down behind a mountain-top on the horizon, the shadow clears!  Note what appear to be immense solar flares!


Much more when I have time at home. Off to Dinosaur National Monument and Flaming Gorge!

No comments:

Post a Comment