Tuesday, May 22, 2012

A fabulous Dinosaur Quarry and other wonders

Today I worked the endless dirt roads of the western part of Dinosaur National Monument, but first I stopped in at the Quarry building with its amazing display. This modern building is a brand-new replacement for an older one which fell victim to erosion under its foundation.

The quarry is supported by both the university of Utah and Brigham Young University. It houses an utterly amazing 90-foot long wall of stone with dinosaur bones sticking out of it everywhere!


Dinosaurs were largely herbivores, with relatively few carnivore predators.They apparently moved in loose herds and gathered at water holes, perhaps explaining enormous concentrations of bones in relatively small areas.



Of course, there were predatory Allosaurs here, and a well-done exhibit celebrates the big raptor:



Then I was off to Split Mountain, where the Green River carved its way right through a massive mountain





I went North on the Island Park trail, which involved 50 miles of dirt washboard road. My poor car. Ah, but there was Island Park, whose name is self-explanatory. I'll have a real panorama when I get time at home.


Then a sudden front came through. Clouds blocked the Sun, and the wind just howled. Sigh.  Tomorrow's area is really spectacular in bright sunlight, so I'm hoping the skies will clear!

I'll re-do these pictures when I get home for better quality, but this is a sampler of some on the fly.

No comments:

Post a Comment