Monday, May 21, 2012

Fantasy Canyon near Vernal, Utah

While I just hate to push yesterday's ring of fire images down the stack, today was another adventure.

Fantasy Canyon is an unusual aggregation of eroded sandstone, somewhat like Goblin Valley. There are formations like these in an area of a few acres. The formations are pretty weird in their visual effect:

Many of the formations have pet names, which I'll try to append later.



This is one I suspect most of my friends will never see. To get there, you cross fifty miles of desert like the moonscape below, which is dotted everywhere with small automated oil drilling and storage sites. The roads are hard-packed dirt, and big 18-wheelers are racing up behind you constantly.

You see a small section of the teeth-rattling washboard road here, and after driving it, the thing seems to go on forever.

Given all that, Fantasy Canyon isn't exactly crowded: Yes, it's a Monday, but I'll bet it's like this on Sunday, too.

So enjoy my new little friends! I'll add more when I get home and have time.



Now, this is imaginative erosion!!


Off to Dinosaur tomorrow!

No comments:

Post a Comment