Saturday, September 10, 2011

Into every life some rain must fall...

Henry Wadsworth Longfellow had it right:
                     "...thy fate is the common fate of all,
                     Into every life some rain must fall,
                     Some days must be dark and dreary."

The Manti-La Sal mountains are tall enough to make their own weather, and it was impressive. The visitors are frolicking at the Schafer Road overlook, but a few minutes later as I was driving along, I thought the raindrops were going to come right theough the windshield.
Earlier, there were a couple of hours of hazy sun, so I raced around to some of the views. This one is near the False Kiva  
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/False_Kiva




I swore I was going to get to the False Kiva, which involves a long hiks and clambering down a vast cliff. I got this close--the alcove with the Kiva is high up on that wall to the far right.


I knew that if I went across that cliff they would bring me home in a bag, so I retreated.  It is a great view on a sunny day, I'm sure:
All of this is on the Island in the Sky plateau. The Colorado River carves all the scenes on the East side of the plateau:
On the West side of the plateau, the Green River does its part:
That was the sunniest moment of the day, which I'd call divine intervention.

Much more to come, if the rains will abate. What a place!!

No comments:

Post a Comment