Monday, September 12, 2011

Desperately Seeking Sunshine...

Sunday was kind of ugly, what with the sky full of clouds and the roads full of Sunday Grannies who slowed me down as I frantically chased patches of sunshine. The big overlooks were a conspicuous casualty, look for example at the giant mud pie of a shadow as I looked South from Grand View (the tip of Island in the Sky) toward Junction Butte.
.There was a brief two-hour window where the Sun broke through in early afternoon. Arches had the best of it, since each of the interesting sites could fit into a moving patch of sunshine. I raced to Balanced Rock:
You don't want to be around when that thing falls. It will go from tourist attraction to projectile in an instant.

Near Balanced Rock is the Garden of Eden, a series of towers whose size was hard to portray until a nice couple with their baby walked right in front of the left-hand tower. Now, that gave a sense of scale to the formations!:
The Sun held in just long enough for the long walk to Broken Arch. That's it, far out near the end of that line of sandstone towers:
OK, OK. I take it back. Because it was Sunday, a nice group of tiny people were wandering around the arch to give it scale in the pictures:
One does get an interesting impression in national parks. Everyone seems to be from somewhere other than America. I listened to a polyglot of European, Japanese and other languages as I photographed various sites. Belgium, France, Germany, Spain and eastern Europe were especially well represented, and I had some pleasant conversations, since everyone has at least some English. My first thought was that we Americans seem to take our own wonders for granted. On the other hand, I'm reminded that I lived in San Francisco for 25 years and went to Muir Woods once. Somehow, a busy career doesn't leave time for touring in one's own country.

Speaking of careers, during the long walk back to the car I got through by cell phone to daughter Kira, who was recovering from a killer week as she tries to wrap up her latest movie. While I loudly scorn the prima donnas who parade on screen, she has given me new respect for the unsung heroes, the technicians who actually make films work.

May I have some sunshine today, please?...

No comments:

Post a Comment