Tuesday, September 25, 2012

Day 6 started so well...

I went out to Sprague Lake at dawn, and was rewarded with the overnight cloud cover breaking up and letting the Sun illuminate the scene:


When I get home I have a number of panoramas to process, but you get the idea. Further  around above the north shore, the hills were covered with aspens.



I then raced up to the mountaintop. but the weather was already deterorating. Still, a few pathches of sunlight made a lot of difference! This is the view from Forest Canyon overlook:



And this is what it's like driving up among the 12,000-14,000-foot peaks on the way to Gore Point


Then the rain and fog closed in up there, so I retreated down to the site of a collapsed dam:


The alluvial fan is the debris from the dam, which sent a six-foot wall of water down into Estes Park, the town where I'm staying.  The water keeps flowing, of course. The rain was pouring down (you can see drops on the sign), so the trek and the photography was all done under an umbrella. Glad I had one stashed in the SUV!



Now to get some rest, and prepare to fight the weather again tomorrow.

Whatever it takes....

No comments:

Post a Comment