Saturday, October 23, 2010

Sigh. Take what the mountain gives you...

The weather was pretty horrible yesterday, but this morning there were beginning to be patches of blue sky.

I headed for one out the Potash Road--and look what I found! Flying lawnmowers!




did you catch the TWO in the air behind the one taking off? It wasn't a bad spot for flying:
As it got clearer, I went to the Eastern leg of the Colorado on Rt. 128. How do you make a Grand canyon? With a BIG river It was raining again, of course. I left the shadow thrown by the umbrella in the shot, just for fun....
When I got my courage up, I drove up into the Manti-LaSals.

Oh--did I mention the snow? Up here it was all snow and slush--and nobody to rescue you if you got stuck. Still, it gives you a remarkable view.
Brrrrrr!  And me in shorts!

All worth it, though. the sky cleared just enough to see the summit:
Oh--did I mention the bear cub playing in the road? It scrambled away when it saw me come around a corner, and scampered up an embankment into the trees.
There is a high overlook above the valley where I took all those yellow birches and aspens in the rain yesterday. That is the road down there. The deep grove to the right is the birches, and the yellow trees in the center are the ones dropping all their leaves on the road. What a view! Even the snow on the summit peeks through!
All in all, a wonderful day. The Cloud God kept throwing big wet ones my way, but I dodged and weaved as best I could.

No comments:

Post a Comment