Wednesday, January 7, 2015

A beautiful day for drones in St. George, Utah!

After some cold weather here, and while the rest of the country is freezing, we have sunshine and 60s here. Woo-woo!

So--I drove up to St. George and visited Sand Hollow State Park, a favorite boating and ATV-driving destination close to the small town of Hurricane. The entrance to Zion National Park is in Hurricane. Sand Hollow is just South of town.

By pure good luck almost nobody was there, but as I drove around, there were deep ATV tracks carving the sand dunes everywhere! I drove out onto the deserted beach to launch the Phantom , and nearly got bogged down in the loose sand. Fortunately for me, the trusty Highlander pulled itself out. Whew!


During the Summer, hundreds of high-schoolers do jumps off the high cliffs into the water--a good subject for which to return!

Then I went to the nearby Red Cliffs National Conservation Area, only a mile or so from Quail Creek. The Conservation Area is quite large, but this one beautiful though small section has been neatly developed with roofed picnic areas. A gorgeous spot to stop for some snacks.

 
To finish the day, I visited Quail Creek State Park, a second small artificial lake in St. George which I visited last September. When you are surrounded by desert and mountains, you build your own lakes. How traditional American!I love those enterprising people in Utah! Very ingenious, and of course the two lakes are very popular in the Summer!
 
 
 
The entire state of Utah is like an enormous park, only small sections of which have been formally designated as National and State parks.  I love to wander around and find smaller parks and other beautiful places which have not yet formally been recognized.
 
Tomorrow I'll watch the wind at dawn. If it is down, there are a couple of other places in eastern Nevada I'd like to drone. god willin' and the creek don't rise...

No comments:

Post a Comment