Sunday, January 18, 2015

Eventually, the numbers catch up to you...

I went out to price some tires last week. Figured I'd put them on in February before my warm-weather trips.
 
Unfortunately, a rock at Whitney Pockets yesterday changed the whole story.
 
 
 
 
Yep, the right front tirewent to glory outside the entrance. A kind gentleman hopped out of his truck and went to work. Wouldn't take a penny after saving me an awful afternoon. But I did go right into Mesquite and get those new tires!
 
It was fortunate for me that I didn't have that flat twenty miles sooner, in the incredibly remote Little Finland, or it might have been a very long afternoon.
 
I am determined to get to the top of the buttes where the fantastic stone statuary is, but this is the area. Some local hikers operate around here, so I know there is a climbing access. Stay tuned.:
 
 
And these are some of the formations from a closer viewpoint:
 
 
One small formation looks like a lion and two others like gargoyles. From the top you could get much better angles:
 
 
 
 
 
For the piece de resistance, I went by the Devil's Throat. My neighbor Bill noticed that I hadn't on my first trip actually flown the drone right over the hole, keeping it safely over my position on solid ground. Telling him I forgot to bring  a very long rope didn't work.Since such caution reflected on my manhood, I said to heck with it and put the Phantom up for the 'Road Runner View.'
 
 
Wheeeeeeeee!
 
 
I'll have more adventures out here! There are all kinds of other sites nearby...
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment