Friday, January 16, 2015

Gunlock Reservoir in Utah

Gunlock is located northwest of St. George, Utah, a couple of hours from home. When I drove up there, the road took me past another lake I hadn't realized was there. Since it was on the border of the Paiute Indian reservation, I thought of it as 'Paiute Lake.' Further research has shown it to be Lower Sand Cove Reservoir.
 
 In that lovely light, I launched the Phantom to get the view from above:
 
 
There was an older gentleman walking his dog while I was setting up the drone. He stood at the top of the boat ramp and threw some food on the ground. All of the ducks scrambled up the ramp for a feeding, but I was too far away to take a picture of the action before he had left.
 
 
From the small reservoir, I moved on to the larger Gunlock Reservoir up the road:
 
 
Once again, I readied the drone for the higher view. At this time of the morning the wind is often down, lessening the risk of a flyaway, that bane of drone pilots.
 
 
Hitting the video button, I luxuriated in the vicarious experience of soaring up there at bird level!
 
 
I shot another sequence to show the dam upon which I was standing, nicely placed with the Sun behind me for maximal color.
 
 
 
I went to a couple of other targets, but the wind had come up and the magical calm hours after dawn had ended. No problem, there are many more drone adventures ahead!
 

No comments:

Post a Comment