Sunday, June 29, 2014

Nature's whimsy at Bisti Badlands...

I tried some new roads to get in to De-Na-Zin Wilderness, but despite, but all were fenced off.

So, I went to Bisti Badlands, where I found an entirely new field of sculptures in a different part of the park. The entire first part of this video swing is all of an area I hadn't reached yesterday.



 
That was a huge space to explore, and I spent four hours at it, until the heat built.
 
  After wandering for a while, I began to find myself seeing old friends in the stone. Nature hasher  bouts of whimsy, and after a bit of time in the Sun, here they came! Think of it as a Rorschach test, let your imagination free and see if you see what I did
 
Is that a drowsy sea lion up ahead, whom we have disturbed with our approach?
 
 
 
A cormorant watches a walrus scratch his back languidly on the rocks.
 
 
 
A huge Roman gladiator's size 24 sandal:
 
 
 
A Roman lady's more dainty sandal:
 
 
 
The King of the Cows:
 
 
 
The Queen of the Pigs with her tiara:
 
 
 
A graceful sea creature rising off the bottom:
 
 
A dinosaur parade?:
 
 
A hungry sea serpent?
 
 
 
And of course a great white shark on relentless patrol:
 
 
 
After this wonderful day of meeting new stone friends, I enjoyed the riot of color along the highway next to the Badlands:
 
 
 
Tomorrow is one of those days in which we pay for all the fun we've had. I'll persevere, and as always, 'There's no place like home'...
 
 
 
 


No comments:

Post a Comment