Friday, June 27, 2014

Finishing touches on Mesa Verde N.P....

I had missed a few places on my first day, so spent some time today making sure nothing important was missed. I do have 39 Gigabytes of imagery in which to wallow for the next few weeks, so what is here on my blog is a few quick grabs like an eagle swooping down from the sky to catch dinner...

I drove down Chapin Mesa to view the major settlement known as Spruce Tree House. It is very accessible, with asphalt walkways leading right down to the ruins from the visitor facility atop the canyon rim.

Unfortunately, the good news is the bad news, as the ruin is constantly filled with visitors. Those of us who work better amid peace and quiet have to really concentrate here.

 
This was also a fine day for Park Point, a turn-off easily missed as one enters the park. It leads to the best big views out over the park and the surrounding Colorado countryside. Fortunately, the clouds had not yet built up, and the views were colossal. I'll have some big panoramas in the web site galleries when they are done. This is just a single frame.
 
 
As a fitting hello or farewell, this huge bronze sculpture sits in a plaza in front of the Visitor Center at the entrance to the park.
 
The Anasazi struggling up to his kiva with what looks to be a load of firewood illustrates that life was no frolic for these farming/hunting tribes. The constant search for food, water and heat for the nights and long Winters were always pressing these tribes.
 
 
Farewell to Mesa Verde until I can lay out a spread on the web site.
 
Meanwhile, tomorrow a roll of the dice. It may be splendid or a waste, and I won't know 'til I get there.

No comments:

Post a Comment