Sunday, August 31, 2014

Another scenic local park...

On a perfect day for flying the Phantom, I drove six miles past Red Rock Canyon to the Sheep Mountain Ranch State Park.  The Ranch backs against the same Sheep Range we see behind Red Rock Canyon and Calico Basin. It is a sprawling range, which strongly influences our weather. The mountains seem to direct storm cells to certain parts of the valley, sparing others (like my house).
 
 
With no wind and a cloudless sky, I put the Phantom up and let it scan the range from Red Rock Canyon (visible when the camera pans all the way to the right) to the Ranch grounds on the left:
 
 
It will be another three weeks before I can get over to the East Slope to take stills and video of lakes, streams and real mountains with the Fall foliage changing. I'm eagerly anticipating that--though there are a lot of those hated trees over there. Trees eat drones for breakfast. And dinner.
 
This has been a valuable month of familiarization, though. It is so easy to be too aggressive with these phantoms because of their amazing technology. I'm being purposely timid, knowing that I can try new maneuvers later, when I'm a more skilled pilot.
 
I just viewed this, and Blogger does dreadful things to videos. We'll have it on my web site soon  http://www.divexprt.com/HDRphotography/Drones.html , so you can see the quality of the Phantom's camera. It is superb.

No comments:

Post a Comment