Friday, August 8, 2014

Gathering experience with the drone...

The weather has finally turned beautiful after several days of monsoon conditions. So, I'm racing around to colorful places to gather material.
 
Yesterday, it was the Calico Hills in the Red Rock Canyon National Conservation Area, where a path leads people to the hills from Overlook 1. Every time I take the Phantom out of the car, tourists crowd around with questions. I have to be careful to keep small children at a distance.
 
 
Over the next few days, my terrific webmaster Patty will put a number of stills and videos from these flights up on my web site on our "Drones for Aerial Photography: page: http://www.divexprt.com/HDRphotography/Drones.html
 
This morning, the early Sun flooded the back side of that formation, in an area known as Calico Canyon. The road to get closer to the mountains was closed, but the flight produced some beautiful imagery.
 
 
The Phantom2 is a dream to fly for this kind of scenery. It is remarkably stable when aloft, and the camera on its gyro-stabilized gimbels provides a rock-solid platform.
 
Of course, mine looks ever more bizarre. The Phantom has landing gear to keep it from tipping on landing. My proprietary sighting system didn't keep enough light off the Android phone screen--so it now has a burqa.
 
 
Doesn't matter how it looks. It works. The Phantom people can pay me later.
 
 
 
 
With more experience I may become more adventurous, but for the time being I'm protecting the Phantom by being careful. As with full-sized aircraft: There are old pilots and bold pilots, but no old, bold pilots. Words to live by.
 
My friends at Drones Plus here in Vegas have provided admirable, swift support. Hope they appreciate my efforts!
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment