Thursday, July 16, 2015

Day 5 It's calm, and I learn new insights...

The weather forecast has been predicting one of those Mexican storms moving in this weekend. The crews alerted me that the next few days will be iffy, and then let me in on some inside-baseball material,

First was the burners. We see them being fired up into the balloon bags (hot air providing maximum lift), but the crew does a warm-up firing when the balloon is being assembled. As you can see, they were showing off!


The crew inflates the bag, then moves in to arrange the interior ropes:


And then Gary invites me to look around inside. It's a fascinating view! This is like a flying cathedral!


The balloons are ready, so let's fly. In the still air, Gary's balloon cooperated nicely, giving me some unobstructed views.

One of the crew told me that the nearby hospital loves the balloon flying next door to them. Doctors there feel the event each morning acts as therapy for patients.

 
Since I can only see the readout on my tablet from my wide-angle lens up there, I'm cautious about boring in too close. Think of the warnings on those magnifying side mirrors on your car.
 
 
Hope the patients' view is as good as mine!
 
 
That's it for this morning. Look at that slow, gentle ride!
 
 
The weather forecast just pushed the rain back a day. I may get in another morning tomorrow! Stay tuned for more tricks!
 
 
 
 


No comments:

Post a Comment