Sunday, September 6, 2015

Looking for Summer weather in Fall...

Last time I was here, the weather in May two years ago was gorgeous. Not so in September. I was talking with store clerks yesterday, and they said two profound things: "September. Time to get ready for Winter.

Even worse, when I then asked, "Doesn't the wind ever stop around here?" they answered, "You're in Idaho, Blows all the time. If you wait five minutes, it will blow even harder."

Still, I've managed some good videos, but the Internet access is so slow all I can do is put a few stills here.

 
That view is of some kayakers on the Snake river below the Perrine Bridge. That's the bridge from which the BASE jumpers parachute. The wind was too strong for the drones, but I went to see the hardy few braving the wind and cool temperatures. Two were wet, and from what I overheard, one didn't quite make it to the landing area, landed in the water by the river bank and was pulled out by the other  Here's some from my last visit:  http://www.divexprt.com/HDRphotography/Idaho%20Trip%202014/BaseJumpersOffBridge/BaseJumpersOffBridge.html
 
It's easier in Summer...
 
Then I went to the Yingst Road overlook, where there is a waterfall.
 
 
A local told me that most of the falls around Twin Falls are from agriculture, the overflow from farms' irrigation canals. For my purposes, this little falls was perfect--it was in an alcove protected from the wind!
 
The water flows down to the Snake River.
 
 
Where it is just another tributary of the mighty Snake.
 
 
I sent a drone up to view the higher part of the falls:
 
 
And I have a very nice video flying up there and slowly coming down the falls:
 
 
For a final stop, I went to the Twin Falls Hydroelectric plant, where a very nice lake and park are above this outlet:
 
 
Where the birds zip around just above the cataract:
 
 
At every stop, I had to put on a jacket each time I got out of the car and got blown about a lot. Still, the scenery here is so dramatic that you take it as you can.
 
Look on the bright side! With luck, later in my trip I'll get the bright colors of Fall foliage to photograph.
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment