Sunday, October 5, 2014

Adieu to the East Slope...

The trip has been very fulfilling, but it's time to sound the retreat after 80 gigabytes of material to work on in coming days.

I went down to Convict Lake  South of Mammoth Lakes this morning. The lake has an interesting history right out of the Old West! Sorry for the shadow on the sign. The short version is, the posse caught up to the escaped convicts here, and the Sheriff was shot (note the misspelling of 'Sheriff' on the sign. You just can't get good help these days).



And what a place for a shootout!

 
From Convict Lake, I went a few miles down the road to Crowley Lake, but the photography from ground level wasn't much. A kind employee told me to drive up McGee Creek road for a better view. His advice was, as that of locals so often is, invaluable!
 
 
That view must be something when those mountains are covered with snow!
 
 
Cars kept driving past me up McGee Creek road, So I became curious and followed them. At the very end of the road, I found that this was a trailhead for hikers to park their cars while they went up into the mountains.
 
Ah, but the drive itself was a rich experience!
 
 
 
Tomorrow, Mount Whitney, the Alabama Hills (where many of the old-time western movies were filmed):
 
 
 
After that, I cross Death Valley on my way to Vegas.
 
Time to go home to Kansas, Toto!
 
 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment