Thursday, September 25, 2014

Somehow, they forgot to tell me about the wind...

Surprise! The wind blows in huge gusts and sandblasts your skin with the dirt!

Oh, all right. Enough whining. I should have noticed the 'High wind warning' signs by the side of the road. Sue me.

So, I put the photographic burden on the hood-mounted GoPro, stayed in the car and looked for future subjects.

Twin Lakes is one spot I'll go back to when the hurricane passes. Very dramatic mountain surroundings which I hope to capture with the HDR camera:

 
Then I went to Saddle Bag Lake, a favorite recommended by my source of recent travel wisdom, Rick Tegeler. The wind was partially blocked by the mountains, and the lake was sublime. There was still too much wind for my drone, but I hope to hit this overlook again on a calm day.
 
 
 
Very near the Saddle Bag Lake exit is Tioga Lake, small and scenic. Definitely worth visiting when the wind is down.
 
 
Since this day was reduced to 'stay in the car and scout out the lakes' day, I stopped off at Grant Lake, one of the lakes on the June Lake Loop whose water has largely disappeared in the drought. There are whole sections of this basin that are completely dry! I hope they get a snowy Winter!
 
 
We'll see what the wind does tomorrow. Oh--and I'm delighted to report that I drove like a granny and got no tickets...
 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment