Wednesday, October 10, 2012

Why my car hates me...

When I go to all these national parks (about 47 by now), I have a tendency to go to their most remote places--which often bave bad roads. Some are more scary than others, and a few are classics.

On my recent Colorado trip, I went up over the Ophir Pass, South of Ouray. The road is a single-track gravel monster. When you have the misfortune to meet a car coming the other way (I had two when I was climbing the lower section), it is definitely a hair-whitening moment. Both drivers have to fold in their rear-view mirrors, and the guy on the dropoff side prays a lot.

On the way back down I was fortunate--nobody was coming up, so I shot some video:


That was just the upper section. The lower road is longer and narrower. The road runs above the tree line, that's why you see the trees down below in the valley below 10,000 feet.


If you were my car and I drove you on roads like this, wouldn't you hate me?


No comments:

Post a Comment