Thursday, May 14, 2015

Guardian angels arrived just in time..

The wind dropped and the Sun came out in all its splendor. I raced around hitting high spots I hadn't been able to capture earlier, so it was a really busy day. Tonight I pack and head home early tomorrow, so this will be the last dispatch for a while.

Artist's Point was beautifully lit by the morning Sun through a clear sky. I'll try to remember to put a map of all these towering buttes on the web site. Here we see Rain God, Cly and Elephant buttes:

 
Panning right, we see the end of Cly, Merrick, Mittens and the smaller buttes:
 
 
I'll skip the video from here to save wireless time, since I've shown the cloudy view earlier. The sunny version came out really well. 
 
Moving West, I flew up next to Camel Butte, looked to my right to North Window, with the distant Three Sisters and Mitchell Mesa in the distance on the left: 
 
 
The view from the North Window entrance encompasses Elephant Butte (center, close by) and Mitchell Mesa (large mesa with Three Sisters to its left).  Through the window, we look out on Merrick, East and West Mittens and some small spires.
 
 
Then I drove over to be closer to Three Sisters and the huge Mitchell Mesa. Turning right, the Phantom saw Merrick, the Mittens and smaller spires with names like Big Chief, Castle, Bear and Rabbit, King on his Throne (yes, I got the map).
 
 
For a completely different subject, I drove North to Goosenecks State Park, where I flew the Phantom out over a dramatic double bend of the Colorado River.
 
 
and a brief video clip:
 
 
Since water is the heart of human activities, much we find here is somewhere near the Colorado River. The town of Mexican Hat and its trademark Rock are both within sight of the river:
 
 
I flew the Phantom up just high enough to see the top of Mexican Hat Rock and the river flowing by.
 
 
Almost out of charged batteries, I finished up with a quiet flight near the town's boat ramp.
 
 
A couple of final targets today if conditions hold, then shoehorning all this stuff into the car for the ride home. Then I can show some of the longer versions of the short clips that were possible here. The drones are no substitute for the tripod photography, but as a complementary view they add a lot.
 
Another great adventure!...
 
 
 
 
 



No comments:

Post a Comment