Monday, February 16, 2015

Back to the adventure!!...

After contracting a nasty flu bug on the flight back from Florida, I spent a horrid week sniffling and wheezing. Meanwhile, the weather was fabulous for drone flying--except that I couldn't do anything about it.
 
Yesterday I felt better, so I went to Little Finland to see more of its formations;
 
 
Coming to this deserted place on Sundays has advantages, as I discovered when I had a flat tire recently. I was to find that a life-saver again today.
 
 
There were occasional gusts of wind, but I picked locations which gave me some shelter. Meanwhile, you could see in that first video the ATV drivers racing around below.
 
Between drone flights, I explored for more stone figures among the hundreds up here.  While large areas of the plateau are barren, there are huge clusters of figures such as The Gargoyle:
 
 
And The Kissing Snails:
 
 
If the Cayman Islands Pirate Week folks will forgive me, here is a thoughtful cow in a pirate costume:
 
 
This one is a stretch, but how about Mother Moray Eel with offspring?
 
 
Won't buy that one, eh? Oh, well. I thought it might be a step too far...
 
 
I shot several satisfying videos up on the plateau, but retreated when the wind started to become more persistent.
 
I went back to the car, and made the fatal decision to take just one more short flight to shoot some interesting figures. Surely that couldn't be a problem, right?
 
Wrong.
 
 
I climbed up on the plateau, confident that I knew about where it landed. After all, how could you lose a big drone in an area like this?
 
 
 
It's easy.
 
I searched and searched but couldn't find it until a couple of kindly families on their ATVs joined me in the search. Soon, one of the moms called out, "I've got it! I saw the flashing lights down in a crevice!"
 
These nice people gave of their time to help. I'm very grateful. As a souvenir and life lesson, I now have a 55-minute video of that drone staring at that wall while the search went on.
 
 
Fifty-five minutes of that.
 
But I got the Phantom back and tested it in the air this morning. A-OK
 

No comments:

Post a Comment