Sunday, August 21, 2011

After 40 years, I return to Bonaire..

 Updated 8/22/2011

!n 1969-72 I lived in Curacao and brought diving groups there and to pristine Bonaire. Forty years later, the government of Bonaire is honoring me with a Lifetime Achievement Award.
My son Paul and his girl friend Sarah, My webmaster Patricia Shannahan and my friend Leslie Leaney of the Historical Diving Society are here for the week of festivities. I wish my daughter Kira, who was a mere eight years old when we moved here, could be with us. She is finishing work on a major movie, and her schedule was in direct conflict. We miss her!

It is hardship duty, as you can see.
We are being hosted by Captain Don's Habitat, an impressive resort right on the water. Captain
Don Stewart was a colleague way back when, and it a pleasure and honor to be back where our adventures began. These views are from the walkway of our luxurious villa.



Stephanie Wirth of the Adams Public Relations agency of New York is our guide (they represent both Bonaire and DEMA Diving Equipment and Marketing Association), and a group of journalists who coincidentally are all avid divers has joined us.

The view below is North toward thee site of the famous Windjammer Wreck. a favorite deep dive in the old days. I was shocked to see that an oil trans-shipment terminal now sits on the shore precisely above the fabulous wreck, and the site is closed to diving..



 It's a shame in one way--I loved diving that wreck!


Looking forward to a fabulous week!! More reports and pictures when I have any time! It's a full dance card!

No comments:

Post a Comment